I don’t believe in New Year resolutions due to how many times I have tried and bailed on them a few weeks in. But, I do believe in using any excuse as motivation to be a better version of myself.
This is a quick list of healthy resolutions you can actually keep:
- Practice deep breathing. In my Psych 101 class in college our instructor taught us a technique where you take a deep breath in as far as you can, hold it for ten seconds, release the breath, and repeat. It can be very effective to combat stress and promote relaxation.
- Drink one more glass of water every day. Doesn’t mean you have to drink a gallon a day, just add one more to what you normally consume, easy!
- Think of a new workout you would enjoy trying: piyo, dance cardio, etc and buy a DVD to try out. I just purchased CIZE by Shaun T to try at home to mix it up, can’t go wrong with hip – hop exercise!
- Make a point to go to bed 30 minutes earlier on days you can. Like the times you are sitting in front of the TV and are tired, but say “oh just one more episode”. Shut it off and go to sleep.
- Once a week try to journal 10 quick things you are grateful for. Gratitude produces happiness. Happiness = health.
- Make one small fitness goal, for example: be able to do ten full push – ups consecutively with good form, and focus on it. Don’t make it all about the weight, the muscle gain, the problem area, or the big picture. Set small goals along the way. Once you hit them, raise the bar and move to the next one. Then you have accomplishments to celebrate all year, and let that excitement fuel more progress! This will help your overall goal not seem so daunting!
Hope you have a blessed New Year!