I remember the first time I walked around the farm with Damon asking “why is there so much stuff out? why don’t you guys pick it up a little?” I couldn’t fathom why so much metal was just lying around! 5 years later I’ve seen pieces of what I then referred to as junk turned into anything and everything around the farm. Pieces I never would have thought were worth anything helped make or fix something that saved us from having to buy a part. The overwhelming amount of scrap metal is not all useable, and we will definitely work at cleaning it up eventually – but it’s obvious now how many things have important functions out there!
Lately I’ve been itching to work on a few projects for our outdoor areas as they’ve been lacking, due to barely being able to keep the inside of the house livable. But a few weeks ago I asked Damon if he would bring home a few pieces of scrap I picked out to turn into something. He always agrees, but certainly has doubts about what the designs in my head will actually look like.
There are some pieces I could stare at for hours and have no clue how to re-use, but these two pieces were an easy pick!
This was a dirty, yellow, four slat, HEAVY piece of metal. I sprayed it off and decided I wanted to make it into an herb planter box. I asked Damon to build little boxes to put in between the slats so the yellow showed through. He drilled holes and attached screws to secure them in the back. I sanded and stained the wood, added the soil and planted the herbs, done! I love how it turned out! The yellow is much more vibrant after being cleaned up, and it adds a nice touch to the bare wall of our shed.
This was our second project. Damon thought it was an old part of a cattle shoot, but to me it looked like a door. It had a crazy chain randomly lying on it that took me awhile to decide how to use. I’ve seen magnetic succulents over the past year, and think they are adorable! I ran to hobby lobby and grabbed some small ceramic pots, and picked out some artificial succulents. I spent lots of time rearranging this design. The pots wouldn’t adhere to any edge that was even slightly rounded off, so I had to compromise on my initial design. The hanging cross fits perfectly at the bottom of the piece, and after lots of different attempts, cement glue is what helped hold the pots in place. I wrapped the chain around in the best design I could for stubborn metal, and it turned out well!
It took a few weeks, but these few projects were a fun way to repurpose some of our farm scrap metal. Damon says he needs a break from my ideas for awhile though. Guess he needs to work or something. 😉